Slow Oven Beef Stew
- Yield 8 servings
"I found this recipe in 1960, and it's been a favorite of my family ever since I first made it—a very simple and delicious main dish."
- 2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut in eighths
- 3 stalks celery, cut in diagonal pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut in half across and lengthwise
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Combine meat, onions, celery, carrots, tomato juice, tapioca, sugar, salt, pepper, and basil in a 2 1/2 quart casserole.
- Cover and cook at 300F for 2 1/2 hours.
- Stir in potatoes, and continue cooking, covered, 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are done, stirring occasionally.
– Mary Newell, Oskaloosa, Kan.