Slow Cooker Peppers Stuffed with Couscous and Turkey
- Yield 4 servings
Try this recipe for a simple and delicious week-night meal.
- 4 large red bell peppers or green bell peppers
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 2/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable juice
- -- Pine nuts (optional)
- Cut off the top of the bell peppers. Remove the membranes and seeds. Rinse the bell peppers. Brown the ground turkey, onion and garlic in a skillet, stirring until the turkey is crumbly; drain. Add the tomato sauce, cumin, cinnamon, salt, red pepper and couscous and mix well. Fill each bell pepper with 1/4 of the turkey mixture. Pour the water into a slow cooker. Stand the bell peppers upright in the cooker. Cook on low for 5 to 7 hours or until the bell peppers are tender. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Note: If you double the recipe, you may not want to double the cinnamon. Taste the filling before you increase the amount.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’s Wild! Wonderful! (The Junior League of Wheeling, Inc., 2003).