Slow Cooker Peppers Stuffed with Couscous and Turkey
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4large red bell peppers or green bell peppers
- 1/2pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 1-- (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2teaspoon cumin
- 1/4teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon red pepper
- 2/3cup couscous
- 1/2cup water or vegetable juice
- -- Pine nuts (optional)
- Cut off the top of the bell peppers. Remove the membranes and seeds. Rinse the bell peppers. Brown the ground turkey, onion and garlic in a skillet, stirring until the turkey is crumbly; drain. Add the tomato sauce, cumin, cinnamon, salt, red pepper and couscous and mix well. Fill each bell pepper with 1/4 of the turkey mixture. Pour the water into a slow cooker. Stand the bell peppers upright in the cooker. Cook on low for 5 to 7 hours or until the bell peppers are tender. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Note: If you double the recipe, you may not want to double the cinnamon. Taste the filling before you increase the amount.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’s Wild! Wonderful! (The Junior League of Wheeling, Inc., 2003).