Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2.5pounds chicken breasts or thighs, skinless and boneless
- 1large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1can corn
- 1 1/2quarts chicken stock (make sure it's gluten-free if need be)
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1tablespoon cumin
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- 5 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado (for serving)
- Turn Crock-Pot to low setting. Add half of the onions and bell peppers to the bottom of the crockpot.
- Place chicken on top of onions and peppers. Then add remaining ingredients except for the corn tortillas. You may need to add more chicken stock to reach the desired consistency of your soup.
- Cover with lid and cook for 6 hours on low.
- Shred chicken with a fork and serve with fresh avocados and tortilla strips.
- To make the tortilla strips, preheat oven to 375F. Cut tortillas into strips. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place strips in a single layer on the baking sheet and then spray the tops lightly with cooking spray. Place in the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, until strips are crispy.
This recipe from Honest Cooking and Dash of Megnut was republished with permission. It originally appeared as Crock-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup.