Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- Yield: 6 servings
- Cook: 5 hours
- 1 1/2pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2ounce dried porcini mushrooms, soaked 10 minutes in hot water, drained and minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2teaspoons tomato paste
- 1tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1pound cremini mushrooms, diced (see note)
- 1 1/2cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2cup dry white wine
- 2tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1/4cup heavy cream
- 1/2cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3tablespoons minced fresh parley, plus extra for garnishing
- 1pound pasta
- Season both sides of chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, porcini mushrooms, garlic, tomato paste, thyme, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until onion is softened, about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms, broth, wine, and tapioca to slow cooker and stir to combine. Nestle chicken pieces into the slow cooker, being sure to keep chicken covered with liquid. Cover and cook on low heat until chicken is tender, about 4-6 hours.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken pieces to a bowl and allow it to cool slightly. Use two forks to shred chicken into bite size pieces. Return shredded chicken to the slow cooker. Stir in cream and parmesan and cook for another few minutes until heated through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Right before serving, stir in the parsley. Toss with pasta and garnish with additional parsley and parmesan.