Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo
- Yield 6 servings
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces frozen or fresh okra, sliced into discs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 -- bay leaves
- 12 ounces smoked turkey sausage, sliced into half moons
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups water
- -- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large slow cooker, add all ingredients. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 or until vegetables are mushy and stock is slightly thickened (it will still be thin).
- Serve over brown rice with cornbread on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Cassie Johnson who by day is a higher ed marketing expert, but after hours obsessed with all things health and wellness. Her recipes and articles have appeared on websites for major brands and in the pages of glossy food magazines. Find her daily fitness and food adventures (and misadventures) at Back to Her Roots.