Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo
- Yield 6 servings
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces frozen or fresh okra, sliced into discs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 ounces smoked turkey sausage, sliced into half moons
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large slow cooker, add all ingredients. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 or until vegetables are mushy and stock is slightly thickened (it will still be thin).
- Serve over brown rice with cornbread on the side.
Find Cassie Johnson’s daily fitness and food adventures (and misadventures) at Back to Her Roots.