Slow Cooker Beef Barbecue
- Yield: 12 servings
"'When I take this beef barbecue to a gathering, someone always asks for the recipe."
- 1 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) boneless chuck roast
- 1/2teaspoon garlic salt
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1medium celery stalk, chopped
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 1cup ketchup
- 1/4cup fresh lemon juice
- 3tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 12 hamburger buns, warmed
- Sprinkle chuck roast with garlic salt. Place roast in the bottom of a greased 31/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Top with onion and celery.
- Combine brown sugar, ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and liquid smoke in a small bowl. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low 8 hours, or until beef is tender. Remove meat from slow cooker and place on a cutting board.
- Ladle 1/4 cup of liquid from slow cooker into a small bowl. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Stir flour mixture into sauce in slow cooker. Shred beef with a fork and return to slow cooker. Cook on high 30 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns.
Recipe by Jill Carrion, St. Cloud, Fla.