Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
- Yield: servings
- 1 1/2pounds eye of round, small 1/2 cubes, visible fat removed
- 1-- onion, diced
- 4-- carrots, diced
- 2stalks celery, diced
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 2boxes 900 ml. low sodium beef broth
- 1can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 2tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1-- bay leaf
- 3/4cup pot barley
- 4sprigs fresh thyme
- 1can onion soup (284 ml)
- 1cup red wine
- -- salt and pepper to taste
- Place beef, onion, carrots, celery and garlic in the slow cooker. Whisk tomato paste with some of the beef broth and add to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with a crusty french loaf.
Recipe courtesy of Tara Noland, a nurse turned family cooking blogger who enjoys developing easy, fast and healthy meals to serve the family. Find more family friendly recipes at noshingwiththenolands.com.