- Yield: 3 servings
- 8ounces tempeh or firm water-packed tofu
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 1large onion, minced
- 2large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 3tablespoons ketchup
- 1cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 (2-ounce) hamburger buns
- Crumble the tofu or tempeh into small bits with your hands into a bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the tempeh or tofu and turn the heat to medium. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tempeh or tofu is golden brown. Add the minced onion to the pan and the remaining tablespoon of oil, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, ketchup and 1/2 cup water, the peas, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Spoon over split and toasted burger buns.
Recipe by Didi Emmons, courtesy of The Soyfoods Council