- Yield 3 servings
Tempeh and tofu are perfect in this zesty tomato sauce. You’ll never miss the meat.
- 8 ounces tempeh or firm water-packed tofu
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 -- (2-ounce) hamburger buns
Crumble the tofu or tempeh into small bits with your hands into a bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the tempeh or tofu and turn the heat to medium. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tempeh or tofu is golden brown. Add the minced onion to the pan and the remaining tablespoon of oil, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, ketchup and 1/2 cup water, the peas, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Spoon over split and toasted burger buns.
Recipe by Didi Emmons.