Skillet Pear Ginger Pie
- 2 9-inch unbaked pastry pie crusts
- 3/4teaspoon ground ginger
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup granulated sugar
- 1/3cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1cup heavy cream
- 7-8 fresh bartlett pears, peeled and sliced
- 1large egg yolk
- 3tablespoons heavy cream
- 1teaspoon light brown sugar
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- caramel sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lay one pie dough circle into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Slice pears and place in a large mixing bowl. In another large bowl, mix together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, and sugars. Stir in lemon juice and cream. Add pear slices to mixture; toss to coat. Pour into pie crust.
- Cover fruit mixture with top layer vented pie dough, lattice crust, or other decorative designed crust. Brush dough with 1 egg yolk mixed with 3 tablespoons heavy cream.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 375F or until pear mixture is bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool enough to set and serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Caramel sauce drizzled over top makes an extra tempting treat.
Posted with permission from Me, Myself and Pie: Amish Recipes by Sherry Gore (Zondervan, 2014).