Skillet Ham Barbecue
- Yield: 6 servings
"I started making this recipe in the 1960s as a new bride trying to stretch the food budget. We liked to entertain! This dish pleased everyone and helped me maintain the budget."
- 2tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1/4cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2tablespoons white or cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon mustard
- 1cup ketchup
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2cup pineapple chunks (strain and reserve 1/3 cup juice)
- 12ounces ham, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2cup green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Cooked rice, noodles, or hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, melt the butter, and cook the onion until soft but not browned. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and the reserved pineapple juice. Add the ham, pineapple, and bell pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Serve over cooked rice, noodles, or toasted hamburger buns.
Tips from Our Test Kitchen: If serving this dish on a bun, drain excess juice first. This excellent use for leftover ham is also good on flour tortillas.
— Edna McCallion, Tehachapi, Calif.