Skillet-Baked Eggs with Spinach
- Yield: 4 servings
“As a professional cook, I have a wall of cookware: copper from France; enamel-coated French or Dutch ovens; high-tech, stainless-steel sauté pans; thin pots for boiling pasta. And even with all of my expensive professional cookware, the pan I reach for the most is, without hesitation, my grandmother’s cast-iron skillet.”—Virginia Willis
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-- onion, preferably Vidalia, finely chopped
- 6ounces mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, chanterelle, morel, shiitake and white button), thinly slic
- 1-- garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1/3cup heavy cream
- 1/8teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1-- (12-ounce) bag frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4teaspoon coarse salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4-- eggs
- 2tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (1/2 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and any liquid is released, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 45 to 60 seconds. Add cream, nutmeg and spinach. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Remove pan from heat.
- Using the back of a spoon, make four nests in spinach mixture in the skillet. Break an egg into each indentation. Season eggs with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in oven and bake until whites are set and yolks are still runny (about 8 minutes). Serve immediately.
To make Oeufs en Cocotte, simply divide the spinach and cream mixture among four small ramekins. Top each with an egg, then sprinkle with cheese. Bake until whites are set and yolks are still runny, about 8 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Virginia Willis' Basic to Brilliant, Y’all: 150 Refined Southern Recipes and Ways to Dress Them Up for Company (Ten Speed Press, 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 250
- Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 230mg
- Sodium 370mg
- Carbohydrate 9g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 11g