Simply Spinach Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
- Cooking spray
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1cup chopped onion
- 1/2cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/3cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1cup fat-free milk
- 6cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 (12-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 2tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/3cup sliced almonds,toasted (optional)
- In a large, nonstick saucepot coated with cooking spray, melt the butter over medium heat and saute the onion and carrot until tender, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and nutmeg and stir. Gradually add the broth, stirring until smooth. Add the milk and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until the spinach begins to wilt, about 3 minutes. Stir in the evaporated milk and salt and pepper (if using). Top with Parmesan cheese and toasted almonds (if using).
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Trim & Terrific Diabetic Cooking, American Diabetes Association, 2007.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 139
- Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 8mg
- Sodium 191mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 9g