Simple Yellow Rice
- Yield 4 servings
Although turmeric is much less expensive than saffron, use saffron for its sultry flavor and aromatic character.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 -- yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, optional
- Heat oil in a 3 1/2-quart saucepan with tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Saute onions, rice and turmeric or saffron 12 minutes to release color. Add water or broth, bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to simmer. Cover tightly and simmer 30 minutes until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper and add cilantro, if using.