Simple Shrimp Creole
- Yield 5 servings
This simple recipe uses the "holy trinity" of Creole cooking to create a healthy and quick meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups all-natural chicken broth
- 1 can (26 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, celery, and garlic and cook until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, sugar, and cayenne pepper, bring to a boil, and then simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Bring the mixture back to a boil, add the shrimp, and cook until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD & Liz Weiss, MS, RD Cofounders, Meal Makeover Moms.com