Simple Roast Chicken
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 50 mins
Simple and, oh, so satisfying, this whole roasted chicken is a go-to dinner recipe.
- 1 whole chicken, about 3- to 3 1/2-pounds
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons sage, minced
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Rinse chicken thoroughly, and dry very well with paper towels, inside and out.
- Sprinkle half of salt and pepper into the cavity of the chicken. Place chicken in roasting pan. Sprinkle remaining half of salt and pepper evenly over outside of chicken.
- Place chicken in oven and roast until thermometer reaches 180 F when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, about 50 – 60 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and sprinkle sage evenly over chicken. Baste chicken with juices from pan. Let chicken rest 15 minutes on carving board.
- Serve chicken with Dijon mustard for dipping.
Adapted from Bouchon by Thomas Keller (Workman Publishing, 2004).