Shrimp, White Bean and Pasta Soup
- Yield 8 servings
The small amount of Canadian bacon gives the soup a burst of flavor that enhances the shrimp, beans and pasta.
This soup freezes well and is great on a cold night. If the soup gets too thick after storing in the refrigerator or freezer, you can add more water or chicken broth.
- 1/4 cup chopped Canadian bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled
- 8 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups rotini pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook bacon over medium heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add onion, green pepper and garlic, and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and 1/2 cup water and cook about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, beans and remaining water. Bring to a boil and add pasta, cooking until it is done, 6 to 8 minutes. Add salt and pepper and green onions; heat 1 minute and serve.