Shrimp Tortilla Soup
- Yield 4 servings
This is a quick weeknight meal.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pound shrimp, uncooked
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 or 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 to 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 or 4 -- dried mild chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- -- Salt and cayenne to taste
- 2 cups corn tortilla strips
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Colby Jack cheese
- Peel and devein shrimp, retaining tails, if desired. Set aside.
- In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender and golden. Add broth. Wash, seed and chop chilies; add to broth and simmer 20 minutes. Season with cumin, salt and cayenne.
- Add shrimp; simmer 2 or 3 minutes until shrimp are cooked.
- To serve, crumble a few tortilla strips into soup bowls. Pour hot soup over, dividing shrimp equally among the bowls. Top with a few tortilla strips, cheese and cilantro. Serve with warm corn tortillas.