Shrimp, Tortellini and Broccoli Soup
- Yield 11 servings
This delicious broth-based soup with shrimp, tortellini, broccoli and a subtle hint of ginger is cooked together in one pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (9-ounce) package chesse tortellini
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 pound small peeled shrimp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large nonstick pot, heat oil, sauté onion and garlic over medium heat until tender. Add broth and ginger; bring to boil.
- Add tortellini, broccoli and shrimp. Return to boil, reduce heat, and cook until shrimp and tortellini are done, 10 to 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Makes 11 cups.
Note: Purchase already peeled shrimp at seafood markets or groceries or the shrimp may be omitted for a vegetarian version. Try different types of tortellini to give the soup another twist, depending on your mood.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.