Shrimp St. Jacques
- Yield 8 servings
This shrimp dish is especially beautiful served in seashells.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk OR low fat OR skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup grated cheese (2-ounces each Havarti and reduced fat sharp cheddar)
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- Boil shrimp in water seasoned with chopped onion until tender. Make a white sauce with oil, flour, and milk. Add mustard, Tabasco sauce, wine, cheese, onion, and parsley. Add salt and pepper. Fold in crabmeat and shrimp. Pour into a greased casserole. If desired, sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake until brown.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Baton Rouge’s River Road Recipes III (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1994).