Shrimp Scampi with White Beans
- Yield 4 servings
This simple, quick scampi recipe adds a special twist with asparagus and white beans tossed with fettuccine.
Chicken may be substituted for the shrimp. Cook the chicken first in the skillet in the oil and proceed with recipe adding asparagus.
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) can Great Northern beans, or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound spinach fettuccine, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil over medium heat and saute asparagus and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Toss in shrimp and cook for 3 minutes until shrimp turn pink. Combine with tomatoes and beans, cooking another 3 minutes. Tomatoes should be tender.
- Combine chicken broth and cornstarch and stir in skillet.
- Thicken sauce on medium heat and stir frequently. Add basil and season to taste.
- Serve over a bed of fettucine and garnish with cheese.