Shrimp, Peas and Rice
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
This dish gets its personality from an assortment of Chinese ingredients.
- 1 1/4 cups rice
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Place rice in a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until rice is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, water and ginger. Continue cooking until mixture comes to a full boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue cooking until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, shrimp, peas and water chestnuts. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turn pink, about 8 minutes. Stir in green onions.