- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Try this Southern family favorite over rice or Cheese Grits.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 pounds medium peeled shrimp
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Sauté onion, garlic and green pepper over medium heat for 7 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in flour, at least 30 seconds. Gently add chopped tomatoes and juice before stirring in evaporated milk, shrimp, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne. Allow mixture to boil
- Reduce heat and and cook an additional 5-7 minutes. Sauce should thicken and shrimp should be pink.
- Season to taste. Remove bay leaf and garnish with green onions before serving.