- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2teaspoon minced garlic
- 1small green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1cup evaporated skim milk
- 2pounds medium peeled shrimp
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 1bunch green onions, chopped
- Sauté onion, garlic and green pepper over medium heat for 7 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in flour, at least 30 seconds. Gently add chopped tomatoes and juice before stirring in evaporated milk, shrimp, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne. Allow mixture to boil
- Reduce heat and and cook an additional 5-7 minutes. Sauce should thicken and shrimp should be pink.
- Season to taste. Remove bay leaf and garnish with green onions before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Gulf Coast Favorites (Holly Clegg, 2008). For more from Holly, follow along at her website, Trim & Terrific.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 150
- Fat 1g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 169mg
- Sodium 522mg
- Carbohydrate 13g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 22g