Low-Fat Shrimp Casserole
- Yield 4 servings
This reduced-fat shrimp and rice casserole is a great dinner standard.
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, over medium-high heat, cook the shrimp, pepper, onion and garlic, about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the shrimp are pink. Gradually stir in the flour and milk. Cook 5 minutes or until the mixture is thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in cooked rice, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from heat and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese and parsley. Sprinkle over the shrimp mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until thoroughty heated.
Note: Try this recipe with brown rice. Add additional chopped vegetables, such as chopped broccoli, red peppers and summer squash.