Shrimp and Ziti Pasta
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This pasta has a creamy sauce but, happily, no cream.
- 1 (16-ounce) package ziti pasta
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain and keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute Canadian bacon, shrimp and onion over medium heat until shrimp begins to turn pink, about 4 minutes.
- While shrimp is cooking, melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and gradually stir in chicken broth to make a white sauce. Cook until thickened and set aside.
- If the shrimp has formed a lot of liquid, drain.
- Add wine, if using, to the shrimp, and cook 1 minute. Add red pepper flakes, basil garlic, rosemary, green onions and the white sauce and cook 5 minutes, until thickened. Toss with cooked pasta.