Shrimp and Stuffed Peppers
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
The shrimp and rice mixture is flavored with tomato and makes a wonderful low-fat filling for the peppers.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 8 to 10 medium bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion and garlic over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, and sugar. Lower heat and cook 5 minutes. Add rice and water. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in shrimp and continue cooking, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, 10 to 15 minutes, until shrimp are done. You may have to add more water if it all evaporates before the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, slice tops off bell peppers, remove core, and rinse out seeds. Place peppers in a large pot of boiling water 5 minutes. Remove pepper from water and drain. Fill each pepper with seafood mixture. Place upright in bottom of a shallow baking dish and bake, uncovered 10 to 20 minutes, until well heated.