Shrimp and Rice Casserole
- Yield 12 servings
This casserole will be a hit at your next family gathering.
- 1 stick plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 pounds raw shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups cooked rice
- t teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt 1 stick butter in a large skillet. Add shrimp and next 3 ingredients. Saute 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice and next 5 ingredients. Gently mix over low heat. Fold in chives and pimiento. Transfer mixture to a 3-quart casserole dish. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter and combine with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Pour cream around edge of casserole. Bake at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of New Orleans’ Jambalaya (The Junior League of New Orleans, La., 1983).