Shrimp and Chicken Etouffee
- Yield 6 servings
Shrimp and chicken are smothered with a highly seasoned tomato-based sauce.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spread flour on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, brown chicken over medium heat, about 7 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic, sauteing until tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in browned flour, tomato paste, chicken broth, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and shrimp and cook 6 minutes. Stir in parsley and green onions and cook 3 minutes more. Serve over rice.