Shrimp and Black Bean Tacos
- Yield 6 servings
You may substitute a can of pinto beans for the black beans if you prefer.
- 12 -- taco shells
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound fresh or frozen medium cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 can (8 ounce) crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 cup preshredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Toppings (optional):
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the taco shells according to package directions.
- While the shells are baking, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder and cook about 1 minute.
- Add the beans, corn, pineapple, and salsa and heat through, about 2 minutes. Add the cheese and heat until melted.
- Place about 1/3 cup of the shrimp filling into each of 12 taco shells using a slotted spoon to remove any excess liquid. Serve with optional toppings.
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD & Liz Weiss, MS, RD Cofounders, Meal Makeover Moms.com