Shrimp and Barley Risotto
- Yield 4 servings
A new take of Italian risotto, this main dish stars barley (instead of rice), shrimp and olives.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 -- (8-ounce) green bell pepper, diced (1/4-inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup California Black Ripe Olives, whole, pitted
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large high-sided sauté pan over medium heat. Add shrimp and green peppers, season with pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are pink. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside. Stir barley, garlic and saffron into pan and place over medium heat. Add white wine and continue to stir until fully absorbed. Combine broth and water and pour into rondo, a 1/2 cup at a time, continuing to stir until all of the liquid is absorbed and barley is tender (approximately 30 minutes). Add shrimp mixture, olives and chives and continue to stir until evenly distributed. Serve immediately.