- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 45 mins
- Piecrust for a 9-inch pie plate
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry crust.
- In a medium bowl, dissolve baking soda in warm water; mix in egg and molasses. Place flour, sugar and shortening in another bowl and mix until crumbly. Add ½ cup of crumb mixture into molasses mixture; mix well. Pour into prepared piecrust. Sprinkle remaining crumbs evenly over top.
- Bake 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350F, place foil on top, and continue baking 30 minutes longer or until the center is firm.
Recipe adapted from The Reading Terminal Market Cookbook by Ann Hazan and Irina Smith (Camino Books, Philadelphia, Pa., 1997).