- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 60 mins
Serve something different with the holiday bird this year.
Assemble the dry ingredients up to a day before.
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3 cups chopped leeks (from 4 medium leeks)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps cut in thin slices
- 1 cup dried apricots, cut in thin strips
- 1 pound hearty French bread, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Cook bacon in a large skillet. Remove, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, pat dry and chop.
- Add leeks, celery, salt, black pepper, thyme and cumin to skillet. Sauté 10 minutes. Add shiitakes; cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Remove from heat; stir in apricots and bread. (Stuffing can be made one day ahead up to this point.)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Toss bread mixture with reserved bacon, broth, butter and eggs; transfer to a 13-by-9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through and lightly crisped on top.
Recipe by Marge Perry.