Sherried Onion Sauce
- Yield 6 servings
This sauce is wonderful over grilled vegetables, tofu or tempeh.
Turn this sauce into a heady soup by adding 4 cups stock or water at the end.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large Spanish onions, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, left whole
- 2 -- bay leaves
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or brandy
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- Heat oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add onions and spread evenly over bottom of pan. Stir occasionally while sauteing 8 to 10 minutes until they begin to turn golden brown. Add garlic, thyme and bay leaves; continue to saute. Add sherry or brandy while standing back from pan and flame. Add water or broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes longer. Serve as a sauce over your favorite protein.