Sharp Cheddar-Olive Wafers
- Yield: 2 dozen
- 2ounces pitted green olives
- 4ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 3tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Place the oven rack in the upper one-third of the oven and then preheat the oven to 400F. Process the olives in a food processor until uniformly chopped. Add the cheese, flour, butter and cayenne pepper and process for 10 seconds or until the mixture adheres and forms a dough.
- Shape the dough into twenty-four 1-inch balls and place 1 inch apart on a lightly buttered baking sheet. Flatten the balls with a fork in a crisscross pattern. Bake for 6 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool slightly before removing the wafers to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Chef Michael Saxer’s Cooking with a Private Chef, New Orleans to Newport(New Orleans, Louisiana, 2008).