Shakshuka with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 27 mins
This popular Israeli breakfast dishes featured eggs and tomato sauce.
This basic shakshuka includes canned fire-roasted tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes, jalapeño, paprika and cumin. Cook, partially covered, 15 minutes. Add tomato paste, salt and pepper; cook 5 more minutes.
- Break eggs into tomato sauce. Cook, partially covered, until egg whites are set, 5 to 7 minutes, or desired degree of doneness.
Here’s another shakshuka recipe we love: Shakshuka with Fresh Peppers and Tomatoes
Recipe adapted from The Book of New Israeli Food: A Culinary Journey by Janna Gur.