- Yield 8 servings
Feta cheese lends creaminess and flavor to this make-ahead salad.
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dillweed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 (9-ounce) package spinach tortellini
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach leaves or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 ounces sliced Canadian bacon, pan-cooked and cut into pieces
- To prepare the dressing: In a food processor, blend the sour cream, buttermilk, feta cheese, sugar, dillweed, basil and pepper until smooth to make the dressing. Chill.
- To prepare the salad: Cook the tortellini according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a 3-quart oblong dish, layer the spinach leaves, tortellini, mushrooms, tomatoes and green onions. Pour the dressing over the salad and sprinkle with the bacon. Cover and chill at least 2 hours to blend the flavors, or until serving time.