Seven Layer Dip
- Yield 16 to 20 servings
For tailgate parties or backyard get-togethers, this classic layered dip is a winner.
Serve with tortilla chips or make your own lower-fat version by slicing flour or corn tortillas in 1-inch ribbons. Place on a baking pan and spray lightly with no-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and bake in a preheated 375F oven 6 to 8 minutes until golden brown.
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and mashed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 scallions, minced white parts and come of green
- 1 (16-ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 cup favorite tomato salsa
- 1 (8-ounce) container low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup chopped, pitted black olives
- In a nonreactive large bowl, mash avocado with lime juice, 1/4 cup cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and salt. Set aside.
- In another nonreactive large bowl, combine tomatoes, peppers and scallions. Set aside.
- Spread beans in an even layer in bottom of a glass serving dish. Top with chopped pepper mixture. Top with tomato salsa, sour cream, avocado mixture and shredded cheese, making a separate layer of each in that order. Scatter olives and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves over top.