Sesame-Seared Tofu and Edamame
- Yield 4 servings
A great vegetarian dish to serve over rice or couscous.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or gomasio seasoning
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 8 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan or wok over high heat. Toss the tofu with the sesame seeds or gomasio in a mixing bowl.
- Add to the pan and saute 2 minutes. Add the edamame and continue to saute 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce and scallions; saute until tender crisp. Makes 4 servings.
*Gomasio is a condiment made from toasted unhulled tan or black sesame seeds and salt that might also include bits of dried seaweed, chili peppers, lemon peel and other spices. It is available in natural food markets and gourmet stores. You can substitutewhite sesame seeds, if you wish.