Sesame-Braised Cabbage with Leeks
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 2 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Gentle and soothing, this lovely dish is more complex and satisfying than you might expect.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 cups sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups green cabbage, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 tablespoons water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chinese-style dark sesame oil- optional
- Toasted sesame seeds-optional
- Melt butter in Dutch oven or large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add cabbage and stir to combine. Add water; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season with black pepper and more salt if needed. Serve hot or warm, drizzled with a tiny bit of dark sesame oil and topped with a generous sprinkling of lightly toasted sesame seed.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Mollie Katzen, The Vegetable Dishes I Can’t Live Without (Hyperion, 2007).