Sesame Balsamic Tuna
- Yield 2 servings
Tuna steaks on the grill cook up quick and fast. The marinade in this recipe gives the tuna a good flavor.
- 2 (1/2-inch) tuna steaks
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Rinse the tuna steaks and pat dry. Arrange in a shallow dish.
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup sesame oil, gingerroot, cilantro, green onions and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Pour over the tuna, turning to coat.
- Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour, turning occasionally. Drain, reserving the marinade.
- Preheat the grill on high for 10 minutes. Place the tuna steaks on the grill rack.
- Grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until the tuna flakes easily.
- Saute the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons sesame oil in a skillet until brown on both sides. Stir in the reserved marinade.
- Cook until heated through.
- Arrange the tuna steaks on a serving platter. Pour the mushroom sauce over the steaks.
NOTE: Ginger may be purchased “by the hand” in the produce department of your local grocery store. It can be frozen for future use. No need to thaw before grating or slicing. Ginger generally does not require peeling.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Buffalo, Great Lake Effects, Buffalo Beyond Winter and Wings (The Junior League of Buffalo, Inc., 1997).