Serenade Vegetable Tacos
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1package (24-count) (4-inch) wonton wrappers
- 1small zucchini, trimmed and halved
- 1medium red pepper, seeded and quartered
- 2small carrots, trimmed and halved
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2medium onion, diced
- 1/2cup diced green papaya
- 1/2cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 small ear)
- 2cups finely chopped green cabbage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2cups cooked pinto beans (or good-quality canned beans), drained and rinsed
- 1cup tomato salsa (preferably fresh)
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Place each wonton wrapper over a small, overturned metal bowl to form a cup shape and bake for approximately 5 minutes each, or until crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool until ready for serving.
- Slice the zucchini, red pepper, and carrots into ¼-inch slices on a mandoline or by hand.
- Preheat a wok for 30 seconds, until medium hot. Add the olive oil, garlic, and onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the zucchini, red pepper, carrots, papaya, corn, and cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 4 minutes or until the onion is slightly tender. Remove the vegetables from the heat. Add the cilantro, toss, and keep warm.
- To assemble, warm the pinto beans and put a small amount in the bottom of each wonton cup. Top with the sautéed vegetables and some salsa, and serve.
Author Note: You can use smaller wonton wrappers to make these as finger foods or passed hors d’oeuvres at a party.
Recipes reprinted with permission from I Love Corn by Lisa Skye (Andrews McMeel Publishing).