Seitan in Mexican Gravy
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2tablespoons water
- 1teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2cup diced cabbage
- 1/2cup diced carrot
- 1/2cup diced onion
- 2cloves of garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt
- 4cups sliced or cubed seitan
- 2cups vegetable broth
- 1cup organic masa or corn flour, mixed with 1 cup cold water
- 1tablespoon wheat-free tamari
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the water and oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the cabbage, carrot, onion, garlic, cumin, anda pinch of salt. Cook and stir for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add a splash of water, if needed, to prevent sticking.
- Add the seitan, broth, and masa mixture. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes. If the mixture becomes too thick, add a little water to thin the gravy.
- Add the tamari and cook for 5 minutes longer. Serve hot, garnished with cilantro.
–From The Natural Vegan Kitchen by Christine Waltermyer