SEARED FILET MIGNON WITH BLUE CHEESE AND SWEET AND SPICY WALNUTS
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 30 mins
- 4 -- 8 oz. Filet mignons
- 1/4 cup Blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup Sweet & Spicy walnuts (see recipe)
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup Demi-glaze*
- 1/4 cup butter, whole
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper to taste
- Season the filets with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or other heavy bottomed pan) to very hot. Add a tiny bit of olive oil to the pan, swirl to coat the bottom of the pan, and add the filets. Sear until well caramelized on both sides, and then finish cooking in the oven to the desired temperature.
- Gently mix the sweet & spicy walnuts and cheese together, and divide evenly on top of the filets. Return the filets to the oven just until the cheese is melted.
- Arrange the filets on a serving platter and reserve. Deglaze the cooking pan with the lemon juice, scraping all the brown bits up from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the demi-glaze and bring to a boil. Whisk in the butter quickly and remove from the heat. Season if necessary with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the filets in the center of the plate and spoon the demi-glaze over the top.
* Demi-glaze is a combination of Espagnole or brown sauce, beef or veal stock and Madeira or sherry, which is reduced by half. The common alternative is a stock quickly thickened with cornstarch. Also available in grocery stores.
The Inn at Tres Pinos recipe provided courtesy of Chef Rob Stevens