Seafood and Sausage Gumbo with Chicken
- Yield: 20 servings
- 1cup vegetable oil
- 1cup flour
- 2large onions, chopped
- 1large green bell pepper, chopped
- 6-- ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4-- garlic cloves, minced
- 4quarts chicken stock
- 1pound spicy smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices, sauteed
- 1-- (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1/2cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2cup tomato sauce
- 4slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- 2tablespoons salt
- 2-- bay leaves
- 1/4teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4teaspoon thyme
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
- -- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 4pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2pounds crab meat, shells and cartilage removed
- 2cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1teaspoon light brown sugar
- -- Hot cooked rice
- Heat the oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add the flour gradually, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the roux is golden brown, stirring constantly. Add the onions, bell pepper, celery, parsley and garlic and mix well.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until the vegetable are tender, stirring frequently. Add the stock, sausage, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, bacon, salt, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper and Tabasco sauce and mix well.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the shrimp, crab meat, chicken, lemon juice and brown sugar 30 minutes before serving and mix well. Discard the bay leaves. Ladle the gumbo over rice in soup bowls. Serve with French bread.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Panama City’s Bay Fetes (The Junior League of Panama City, Inc., 2003).