Seafood and Sausage Gumbo with Chicken
- Yield 20 servings
A nutty-flavored, rich roux, cooked for at least a half hour, is an essential ingredient for classic gumbo.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 -- ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 1 pound spicy smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices, sauteed
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 -- bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- -- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 pounds crab meat, shells and cartilage removed
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- -- Hot cooked rice
- Heat the oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add the flour gradually, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the roux is golden brown, stirring constantly. Add the onions, bell pepper, celery, parsley and garlic and mix well.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until the vegetable are tender, stirring frequently. Add the stock, sausage, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, bacon, salt, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper and Tabasco sauce and mix well.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the shrimp, crab meat, chicken, lemon juice and brown sugar 30 minutes before serving and mix well. Discard the bay leaves. Ladle the gumbo over rice in soup bowls. Serve with French bread.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Panama City’s Bay Fetes (The Junior League of Panama City, Inc., 2003).