- Yield 6 servings
Sea vegetables, like the arame in this recipe, are extremely low in calories and high in iodine and minerals such as iron and calcium. Many are rich in vitamins A, C and the B complex too.
- 2 ounces dried arame
- 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 3 -- scallions, minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Oriental sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place arame in simmering water to cover for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Now the arame is ready for use.
- Combine arame and all the remaining ingredients in a nonreactive container; mix well. Let sit for at least 1 hour at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.