Scrumptious Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
- Yield 6 servings
Make sure you give this sauce the 24 hours it needs to chill so the flavor of this sauce is at its best.
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons (or more) water
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounce) Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (16 ounce) tomato puree
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red or black pepper
- Cook the sausages in the water in a skillet until brown on all sides, adding additional water if needed. Remove the sausages to a cutting board, reserving the drippings. Slice the sausages into bite-size pieces.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic to the drippings in the skillet and saute until tender; remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Combine the tomatoes, tomato puree, wine, parsley, oregano, sugar, bay leaf, cumin, salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Add the sausage and sauteed vegetables. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Cool to room temperature and chill for 24 hours to enhance the flavor. Reheat to serve; remove and discard the bay leaf. Serve over your favorite pasta.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Roanoke Valley, Virginia, Inc., Oh My Stars! Recipes That Shine (The Junior League of Roanoke, Valley, Virginia, Inc., 2000)