Scrumptious Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- 8ounces hot Italian sausage
- 8ounces sweet Italian sausage
- 3tablespoons (or more) water
- 2cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2cups finely chopped celery
- 1large garlic clove, minced
- 1can (16 ounce) Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1can (16 ounce) tomato puree
- 1cup red wine
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1whole bay leaf
- 1/4teaspoon ground cumin
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground red or black pepper
- Cook the sausages in the water in a skillet until brown on all sides, adding additional water if needed. Remove the sausages to a cutting board, reserving the drippings. Slice the sausages into bite-size pieces.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic to the drippings in the skillet and saute until tender; remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Combine the tomatoes, tomato puree, wine, parsley, oregano, sugar, bay leaf, cumin, salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Add the sausage and sauteed vegetables. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Cool to room temperature and chill for 24 hours to enhance the flavor. Reheat to serve; remove and discard the bay leaf. Serve over your favorite pasta.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Roanoke Valley, Virginia, Inc., Oh My Stars! Recipes That Shine (The Junior League of Roanoke, Valley, Virginia, Inc., 2000)