- Yield 12 servings
Vanilla meringues are topped with ice cream and caramel sauce in the dessert.
- Caramel Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons toasted chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 scoops vanilla ice cream
- For th sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and cook just until dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream gradually.
- Return to the heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Combine with the walnuts and vanilla in a small bowl and mix well.
- For the meringues: Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar in a mixing bowl until frothy. Add the sugar gradually, beating constantly until stiff peaks form. Beat in the vinegar and vanilla.
- Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a #31 tip. Pipe into individual 2 1/2-inch meringue shells on a greased aluminum baking sheet. Leaving 2 inches between shells.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 10 minutes or until firm but not brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- To serve, place 1 scoop of ice cream in each meringue. Spoon the sauce over the top.
NOTE: Unfilled meringues may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, First Impressions, Dining with Distinction (The Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, Inc., 2001).