Low-Fat Scalloped Potatoes
- Yield 8 servings
With skim milk and reduced-fat cheese, these potatoes are a lower-calorie version of a classic dish.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Combine potatoes and enough water to cover in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Do not overcook; drain.
- In a saucepan, combine the flour, milk and garlic and cook until thickened, stirring. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In an 11x7x2-inch baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, place half of the potato slices along the bottom and top with half the milk mixture. Sprinkle each potato layer with salt and pepper. Repeat layers with the potato slices, seasoning and milk mixture. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle top with Swiss cheese and green onions; continue cooking 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.