Scalloped Potatoes, Broccoli and Cheddar with Veggie Dogs
- Yield 6 servings
This vegetable-based recipes that appeals to all.You can leave out the veggie dogs, but that's a real mistake. They add a sense of fun, something we all need these days.
- Potato Mixture:
- 1 1/2 pounds red bliss potatoes, cut in large chunks
- 1 cup 2-percent milk, warmed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable Mixture:
- 1 tablespoon margarine, soy margarine or butter
- 1 (10- to 12-ounce) package of your favorite veggie dogs, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons water
- To make potatoes: Boil potatoes in water to cover about 15 minutes until tender. Drain well and smash roughly in a large mixing bowl with a potato masher or large fork. Gradually add milk, olive oil and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold milk mixture into potatoes just until combined. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cover with foil and set aside.
- To make vegetables: Heat margarine over medium heat and add the veggie dog slices. Saute 1 minute until lightly browned. Add onions, broccoli and carrots. Saute 2 minutes, adding water to prevent sticking, until vegetables are softened.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- With a spoon, gently combine potatoes with other vegetables. Spray a 12 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon potatoes into dish, top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese and bake, uncovered, 25 minutes until top is golden and potatoes are heated through.