Savory Tomato and Vidalia Onion Soup
- Yield 6 servings
It only takes a few ingredients to whip up this savory tomato and onion soup.
- 1 1/2 pounds roma tomatoes cut in half, lenthwise
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- -- Salt and pepper
- 2 medium vidalia onions, chopped
- 3 cups chicken and vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Heat oven to 400F. Place tomatoes, cut side up, on sheet pan and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then roast until tender and beginning to brown, about 45 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, cook until they begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes and any juice from the pan to the pot along with broth and herbs. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook 20 to 25 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. If smoother soup is wanted, puree to desired consistency using emersion blender.