Savory Tomato and Vidalia Onion Soup
- Yield 6 servings
It only takes a few ingredients to whip up this savory tomato and onion soup.
- 1 1/2 pounds roma tomatoes cut in half, lenthwise
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 medium vidalia onions, chopped
- 3 cups chicken and vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Heat oven to 400F. Place tomatoes, cut side up, on sheet pan and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then roast until tender and beginning to brown, about 45 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, cook until they begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes and any juice from the pan to the pot along with broth and herbs. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook 20 to 25 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. If smoother soup is wanted, puree to desired consistency using emersion blender.
Recipe courtesy of the Vidalia Onion Committee