Savory Squash and Pear Crumble
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- 2cups breadcrumbs
- 1cup California walnuts, chopped
- 1/2cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2cup melted butter
- 4cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2cups Bosc or Barlett pears, peeled, cut into 1-inch
- 2tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1teaspoon each course salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Crumble: In bowl, combine breadcrumbs, walnuts, Parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper and parsley until blended. Drizzle in melted butter and stir until mixture is moistened.
- Filling: In large bowl, combine squash and pears. Sprinkle with flour, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish.
- Sprinkle crumble over the filling. Bake until squash and pears are tender and crumble is golden and crisp, about 30 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving warm.