Savory Squash and Pear Crumble
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 4 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups Bosc or Barlett pears, peeled, cut into 1-inch
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon each course salt and fresh cracked pepper
Preheat oven to 350F.
Crumble: In bowl, combine breadcrumbs, walnuts, Parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper and parsley until blended. Drizzle in melted butter and stir until mixture is moistened.
Filling: In large bowl, combine squash and pears. Sprinkle with flour, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Transfer to a greased 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish.
Sprinkle crumble over the filling. Bake until squash and pears are tender and crumble is golden and crisp, about 30 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving warm.